Wednesday 12 November 2008

Opportunities come and go, don't miss them!


I don't carry my camera around with me enough at the moment. And when driving I'm usually saying to myself, "I could have got that one", "Oh that looks cool" or "Look at the colours!.....".


These times very rarely repeat themselves, be prepared and these images will come to you, have a camera with you and you'll be able to record them for all to see.


Once in a moment shots never come back. I was in a press conference with His Holiness the Dalai Lama last year, he was a keynote speaker at the Children In Crossfire conference in Londonderry. All us press photogs were crammed at the front, the odd flash would go off and it never once phased him or his flow where the answers were concerned. At the end His Holiness stood up, posed for the press. Everyone wanted to touch him, shake his hand.


Then there was this little lad. He had a present, the photogs were all piling out of the building to get to the front door where an amassed throng had gathered. The young chap presented it to His Holiness, who duely opened it to see the contents, gave the lad a huge hug and then span him around to find the first photographer.... Which happened to be me, His Holiness didn't say a word just raised his eyebrows at me directly, which is the international call sign for, "can you take this photograph please". I rattled off a couple of frames and then they left.


The moment that presented itself, a split second that was giving to me, they don't happen often. You need to know your camera well (Nikon D50 at the time, AP, at f5.6 and let the flash and the Fong Lightsphere do the work).


No comments: