Sunday 21 December 2008

Mirenda Rosenberg


One of the best shoots of 2008, I'm glad it happened on many levels. Mainly that it re-affirmed that it's photography that I love doing. Economic downturns and the rest can be put to one side and I can shoot some pictures.

Mirenda and her band scoured the social networks and looked through about 30 portfolios of photographers... they liked the way I worked and the questions I asked. Within a week were doing the shoot.

One of the most important things to note with singers and musicians in general. They are different characters offstage compared to onstage. The first set of images just didn't work mainly due to the amount of light that I had available. The second set, at the bar, just clicked straight away as Mirenda and I started talking about music. "Do you have a completely different, act/character, on stage as opposed to offstage? You do, can you the onstage character now?". The shoot changed 100% and the list of moves and poses just got bigger and bigger.

Nothing's final in the music game but the mock up of the CD cover I did looks promising. One diffused SB-800 at waist level hence the "Scooby Doo" shadow in the background. The hand gestures were very important, having the hands doing something improves any photo no end.

No comments: