Saturday 16 August 2008

Looking back at the archive: Maranna McCloskey

Well I just let Lightroom 2 import everything on my hard drive. In Northern Ireland I've photographed a lot of musicians, local ones, visiting ones, festivals and gigs where no one has turned up.

In October 2007 I did a session for singer, Maranna McCloskey. I first met Maranna when she supported Altan at the Danny Boy Festival in 2007. Later on in the year I got a call to do a promo shoot. Now it wasn't the best of October days (it was cold basically and the sky was just a monotone off white colour). We ploughed on non the less and ended up with a good selection of work. Meetings were arranged and proofs deliberated over. Maranna went away happy.

There's always been the niggling thing in the back of my head that the images would have looked better in black and white, but as they were promo purposes they were better off in colour for the client. This afternoon I was tinkering in Lightroom and came up with something a little to a Bob Carlos Clarke-esque tone to it. My little nod to the photographic genious that he was.


The location for these was Downhill Castle in Co. Londonderry. The stone is quite light and when you blast it with white light again it starts to wash out.





Client perception is the name of the game here and these images won't have cut the mustard in terms of a traditional Irish singer. On the other hand, as a set of portraits I love them in the B+W.

No comments: