Monday 4 May 2009

Danny Boy Finale - The Paperboys and Ian Smith.


For any photog there's waiting involved. For some reason with gigs in Limavady it seems to be an awful lot longer. The 8pm kick off turning out to be 8:30pm (I was not alone in making that mistake) and the lights were just below (they looked great for the stage) anything I could shoot within in the realms with. Even with my new shiny Manfrotto monopod it just never quite made the mustard for me.

So while the other photogs and video were more bothered about shooting Ian Smith live, who was excellent, I made friends with the promoter and got ten precious minutes with The Paperboys.

My personal brief is simple: "Take the best shots you can, do your reshoot while you are here.". It just means I have all bases covered. The group shot was easy enough to do, then came the suggestion from me to do some headshots.... they loved the idea and we had a good five minutes left. I left my background up in the hallway of the hotel and then caught Ian Smith on his way out and took three minutes to photograph him.

Thirty seconds to get a grab shot of Peter Jack with a bright red Canada top and I was gone.

My timeplan went something along the lines of:

7.00pm - Leave the house
7.15pm - Arrive at the venue
7.30pm - Talk to festival committee for a bit.
7.35pm - Look like a billy no mates numpty.
8.10pm - People start to file in, some talk to me (I think they feel sorry for the billy no mates with the camera).
8.40pm - Ian Smith goes on stage. Live shots are not up to much, anything with flash kills the feel.
8.45pm - Chat to the promoter, promised band for ten minutes very soon.
9.20pm - All five members of the band are in the hall at the same time, so I whisk them off to a side corridor to do the shoot.
9.30pm - All done with The Paperboys, Ian Smith comes offstage.
9.35pm - Shoot Ian Smith in less than two minutes.
9.40pm - Leave the venue, quick grab shot of the festival chairman with a bright red garment on.
9.45pm - I'm outta here.
10.00pm - Coffee in hand.

No comments: